First off I want to say I’m very proud of every one of you who has been working towards being a happier, healthier, and more resilient person! All the time you have spent training with us at Anchored Athletics will give you an edge health-wise over those who do not prioritize their health the way you do.
I’ve been spending a lot of time researching and thinking about the current situation we’re experiencing with regards to COVID-19. There are some implications to it worth noting and I’d like for you each to understand what Anchored Athletics will be doing in case of certain events. We will also be asking each of you to take a selfless approach to handle COVID-19 for the well-being of our Community.
- I don’t intend to close Anchored Athletics: unless mandated by the federal, provincial, or local government. We will be doing everything within our abilities to maintain a viral-free space for as long as the government allows. That includes things already in place:
- We were already in the habit of keeping the gym clean and we are now taking the additional step of using a 10-1 Bleach solution on everything that is touched within the gym. This includes door handles, bathrooms, workout equipment, floors etc.
- Wiping down all equipment before and after Workouts, and
- Increased floor disinfecting
- We’re fortunate that our space a size where we can effectively disinfect it before and after every class
- Procedures for cleaning surfaces and equipment:
- Spray contact points with Bleach Solution
- Let sit for 30 seconds
- Wipe equipment dry with a clean rag
- Toss used rag in the laundry bins provide
- We are asking each of you to help: stem the transmission by consistently wiping down equipment before/after your workout with the 10-1 Bleach solution. You know where you’ve been and what you’ve touched during your workout. We are also asking that you keep or up your normal hygiene levels during this time. This means:
- Please shower and deodorize BEFORE coming to the gym that day (or the night before)
- Please wash your hands before you get in your car to come over to the gym
- If you feel the onset of cold or flu-like symptoms, do not come to the gym until you’re 100% feeling better. Even 2 days after the final symptoms, you may still be infectious to others. For their sakes, stay home a little extra during this crucial time. (See Point 3. for details on how we can help you stay on track)
- Try not to touch your mouth, nose, ears, or eyes while at the gym until after you’ve washed up.
- Please wash your hands while at the gym. We have single-use towels and soaps!
- Virtual Fistbumps on SugarWod instead of high five for the time being!
- Remember that anti-bacterial WILL NOT kill a coronavirus. Good old soap and water seem to treat it best. We will have both available in our bathrooms for you.
- Although cases are still very low in British Columbia If you have come in contact with someone that has contracted COVID-19 or feeling Flu-like symptoms PLEASE DIAL 811 TO SPEAK TO HEALTHLINK BC AND GET ADVICE ABOUT HOW YOU ARE FEELING AND WHAT TO DO NEXT.
- IF you are diagnosed with Covid-19 Please Inform me ASAP so that I can take appropriate measures.
3. At home workouts and coaching service: As of Monday, I will start entering daily at-home workouts for anyone who is unsure if they are developing flu-like symptoms. In the event the government mandates us to close our business I will be making up “at home training kits” consisting of a Resistance band, two dumbbells, a skipping rope and a kettlebell for those who need them and you will be able to sign for them at the gym and take them home with you so you can continue to follow our program and maintain the fitness level that you have worked so hard to achieve since joining our community. I will also be making myself available to daily coaching and accountability facetime calls to keep you on track! We if you’re interested in following a more customized program let me know and we will write a workout specific to you and your goals.
IF you would like to purchase some things for your home, here are some links for things that would help you stay on track:
- Speed Rope
- Strength Bands
- Gymnastic/TRX rings w/ door mounting attachment
- Foam Roller
4. Why should we all take this so seriously?
Great question! Here’s why:
- Most of us are only one or two degrees of separation away from someone in which this could potentially be tragic (this seems to affect those older than 50 poorly, and is potentially lethal to those over 80 years of age). My Grandmother is 81 who I visit weekly and although she is in good health, I would be devastated to be the one that accidentally exposed her to coronavirus. Take a minute and think about someone you know and have contact with that could be in danger of catching this with deleterious effects.
- We do not want to add to the burdening of an already over-stressed health system in this country.
- Understand that you are taking a risk by coming to the gym to workout. You are also taking a risk simply walking to your mailbox and getting your mail. Being in any public space now becomes a risk. You knowingly accept that risk by showing up.
OK, I think that about covers it, but in closing:
Let’s all keep things immaculate. Anchored Athletics will be doing everything it can to stay open. We have a plan in the event the gym needs to temporarily shut down.
And finally, be a great Anchored Athletics Community member and global citizen until this passes!
Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions you may have!
p.s. There is a lot of misinformation floating around social media so here are links to trusted resources related to this;